Identification Different From The Name Being Signed?

November 24th, 2018 Comment

This problem may occur in different situations.  In some situations, individuals may have simply neglected to update their identification cards after a name change.  You should go to your local Division of Motor Vehicles office to make the necessary changes.


In some instances, individuals may need to sign a document with their former name after making the necessary updates to their identification cards.  A classic situation arises when a woman changes her name after marriage and has to sign a document, such as a warranty deed, in her former name.  We may notarize her signature if she signs both names and the notary may want to indicate that fact in the notarial certificate.


For an acknowledgment, the notary could state,


“The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____ day of ________, 19__, by Mary Smith, who represented to me that she was formerly known as Mary Jones, and who provided a Florida driver license, No. 123 45 678 890 in the name of Mary Smith as identification.” 

The notary may also want to include information such as the date of birth, expiration date, or physical description.  The notary may always provide additional information in the certificate, especially if it helps to clarify the circumstances.  The notary may also want to include information about supporting documentation concerning the name change or additional identification cards, if available, in the journal.